Thursday, 31 March 2016

6 week follow up

So never mind the actual 6 weeks. ..3 days later and I've been back at the Alex seeing both the physio and my surgeon. This was where I was going to hopefully see some progress in terms of what tasks I can do, what restrictions get lifted.

First up was the physio.  The main message is that all my restrictions on the 90 degree rule, twisting and crossing the midline still apply. So although I'm allowed to theoretically do more, it must always be within those limits.  I got to ride an exercise bike with high saddle, and she also gave me the ok to use treadmill and cross trainer at the gym. She gave me a shed load more exercises to do. I think I'm going to have to ask if I can keep my working hours to 2 per day or I'll be up all night doing the exercises. I asked about doing pilates and she said that would probably be OK,  especially as I'm looking for a private session. But then it occurred to me that it would involve getting to the floor. She showed me how I should be able kneel safely. I tried and my muscles are so pathetic that I fell forward almost breaking the rules if she hadn't caught me. But if I hold onto a chair for support I can make it down there. 

She also got me doing step work.  Now I thought I was doing OK on stairs. Going up I have to hold the railings but coming down, no problems. Except it seems I'm just using momentum. When she tried to get me to take one controlled step it just hurt like hell. God I have so much work to do on my muscles!

I do still have a lot of tightness and groin pain so I will have another appointment where she'll give me some massage to help. That sounds nice but from experience physios tend to have a knack of making you feel like you're going through the ceiling. They find bits that just don't hurt until they touch them. Luckily I can alternate that with hydrotherapy which feels like it does good and is enjoyable.

Overall she was really pleased with me. She said I had a good attitude and was clued up on managing restrictions...despite me having confessed to crossing midline by kicking something with my operated leg.  But it was great to hear I'm generally doing the right stuff. And best of all she gave me clearance to sleep on my side...and on either side as long as I keep a pillow between my legs to avoid my op leg crossing midline. Having just started to settle to better sleep on my back it'll be interesting to see how it goes from now. 

So then on to see Mr Hoad-Reddick, the amazing man who has given me my new hip.  He looked at my scar and said it was looking good. He then examined me as I was telling him how I felt like I was feeling a real hard lump inside my hip area on certain movements. The physio had said that I was possibly feeling the prosthesis itself which was slightly freaky. Mr Hoad-Reddick said the same and said that the muscles will still be healing,  will go into spasm,  will go hard. He observed that I had almost zero rotation in my hip...whichever way he turned it got me yelling.  He could have a future as a physio! As it happened I was initially feeling gutted but he seemed unconcerned and said at this stage it's quite normal.  That in itself was reassuring. As he explained, if the scar is red on the outside, it'll still be red on the inside. I felt a little bit like I was being likened to a piece of steak! But it just hammered home the message that week 6 is when you're allowed to do more, it's nowhere near when you're healed.

In terms of restrictions he's a little more relaxed than the physios in terms of gradually worrying less about seat height for example.  Obviously avoid low soft sofas but going out for a meal I don't need to obsess about safe height as long as I'm not leaning forward too much.  He's fine with my work arrangements as I can arrange for proper seat arrangements which is more important for longer periods of time.  

Biggie thing from him was the news that I'm good to drive :)  I need to make sure I'm not breaking the rules  (my restrictions,  not the highway code. Though I probably need to not break that too much either)
And the other thing I got from him that I really wanted was my xrays. Below are my pictures from my pre op xrays from November,  and post op with Horace in place 



He'll be seeing me again at 12 weeks but was happy with everything as it stands

When we got home I tested my hip and my nerves behind the wheel, just round the block which was enough for now. I felt stupidly nervous! We also tested the kneeling again and also tested whether I could lie down on the floor.  It took a bit of manoeuvring but I got there, lay on tummy, rolled over onto back and got up again. It sounds daft seeing that in writing but it felt a bloody big deal.

So it now feels like I've passed a significant milestone.  Yes things still hurt. The last week I've been more swollen and had more groin pain. I've been back on painkillers a little. But I'm reassured things are going OK.  

And work is also going well. Being easter holidays seems to have helped as emails have been far less than expected.  My brain still feels a little fried but when I've been able to step in on something and turn it round it feels good. Definitely glad I'm doing this phased return though.  Especially after all my new homework the physio's given me!   

No comments:

Post a Comment