Monday, 11 April 2016

8 weeks, whatever normal means

When they talk about getting back to normal there'd likely be a few people who would question the use of that word to describe me. For one thing I'm a 51 yr old woman who is an unashamed Doctor Who geek. I am happy to admit I know the difference between a Sontaran and Silurian. I can tell the differences between the outside of the Tardis for the 10th and 11th doctors (St John badge for any saddos who were wondering). I haven't missed an episode since it returned in 2005. I dragged Kev along to Manchester to see the 50th anniversary special live on the big screen. I have the theme tune from the tenth doctor era as my ring tone on my phone. I used to have the Tardis noise as my text tone but can't figure out how to get this phone to do it. I get irritated by people who refer to the character as Doctor Who. He is just the Doctor.  And it's never Dr Who. Just add the extra 4 letters, it's not that difficult. 

And those latter examples of my DW (only acceptable abbreviation) geekiness  also give a hint to another trait, that of being a bit of a grammar Nazi. I cringe at the use of 'should of' (or worse still 'shud of').  I can't abide incorrect use of their/there/they're. I even have an opinion on the Oxford comma; I don't like it and hardly ever feel a need to use it.

And my weekend or a midweek evening can be turned from good to bad or vice versa depending on the results of football matches. In particular Liverpool results. I can't help it, it's been that way since I was about 10. Things have changed a bit; I no longer have my bedroom covered in posters of the team, with Kenny Dalglish strategically positioned to be the first I saw when I woke.  And Liverpool don't win titles like they used to.  26 years of hurt and counting.  But there is also joy to be had in revelling in the misfortune of Man Utd lately to soften the blow.  Yes I know they're above us but they're still rubbish compared to their own opinion of themselves so I'm allowed to laugh.

So if all of the above is entirely normal well that's fine.  It's my normal.  I'm old enough now that I don't care if I'm a geek.  It gives me a good bond with my equally geek son.  As far as the hip is concerned I've lost track of what normal is.  Sure, until the latter part of last year I could still walk unaided but I often had episodes of pain.  And my mobility hasn't been right and fully functional for getting on for 5 years now.  I waved bye bye to my dancing classes, my zumba and aspects of my sex life!  So if I get to wave hello to them again I will be very happy.

I've been pretty good about doing my exercises and that has paid off with my thighs no longer screaming at me quite so loudly.  The groin pain still persists though but I'm trying to rationalise my progress by looking at how I was a few months back.   I have been to the gym.  I didn't do a lot there but I went. About 15 mins slowish treadmill walking, 10 mins on the bike and only about 5 on the cross-trainer but it's a start.  

On Saturday I walked down to one of the stores in town, one of the furthest out from my house.  By the time I'd also popped into another shop on the way back I'd done a round trip of 2.5 miles.  And for the first time I didn't plan the route and try to figure out if I should do it or not, I just did it.  Then in the afternoon I decided I wanted to visit Northwich.  Kev was out on a job most of the day so it was drive myself or not go.  So I went.  I just drove there and spent quite a while wandering round the shops.  No thought about whether I should or shouldn't.  I just did it.  And isn't that more normal than anything?  It felt good just being that free for the first time in ages, not making concessions to my hip.  Kev's car is horrible for me to drive but I survived.  I was a bit achey by the end of the day but I put that down to how I did a lot having spent a long time doing very little.  Of course I was feeling it but not in an 'oh my god what have I done' kind of way.  

On Sunday I went over to Shakerley Mere intending to walk a couple of laps round the lake.  As it was I just did one as I was a little sore, and ended up not going to the gym as I'd originally had in mind.  Maybe I did slightly overdo it on Saturday!  But hey I've got to live and can't wrap up in cotton wool forever.  The way I see it, even properly normal people will have days they do a bit more than they planned.  Ok maybe I need to be a bit careful but it was just walking - I didn't go off in high heels and hit a dance floor.  In fact having thought I'd be climbing the walls to get back in heels I haven't gone near them yet.  At the moment I'm enjoying feeling I can walk normally so why risk that for a few more weeks in flats.  And if I was a little gutted at feeling sore well there was some comfort. Liverpool won 4-1, Man Utd lost 3-0

And I took another step back to normal life today with my first day in the office.  Well half a day really but who's counting.  Although I've been working part of each day for the past 2 weeks, it was lovely actually seeing real people again.  Some were quick to welcome me back, some looked as if they didn't realise I hadn't actually been anywhere (did they think they'd just gone deaf the past 8 weeks??).  I did lose a bit of time chatting and showing xray pics off - don't worry I made up the time after!  It was a real boost to the ego when people seemed in some cases genuinely surprised to see me walking normally.  Several people said how well I was looking and 2 in particular have commented how even when I thought I was doing OK before, they thought I'd looked pained and it was good seeing that gone now.  And particular shout out to the lovely people who said I looked as if I'd lost weight.  I have made a note of what I was wearing as I am in fact about 10 lbs heavier than  when  I was last in the office.  I did lose a pound over last week but hardly dropping off me.  I can only assume the walking makes me look more toned and the swelling is the weight and is hidden well.  Either that or they need to go go Specsavers but hey I'll take the compliment thank you :)

I did get home a bit heavy legged but did my exercises and then went for a walk to see a friend.  I was actually pretty glad of the sit down at hers, and then by the time I'd got home I'm aching again but just the infernal groin pain.  But it was cold and windy, I'm fasting today and was tired so nothing untoward in this.  I do have to remember there's still healing going on, if I do a lot I will tire.  But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
And at the end of the day, it's just normal.  Whatever that is for me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment