So yesterday was the biggie. Second biggie as obviously week 6 was the biggie, but then it actually wasn't so yesterday was. With me so far? Yesterday was 12 weeks and saw me back visiting Mr Hoad-Reddick and the physio, and this was to be 'sign off' with my next visit due at the one year mark. The day hadn't been great as I'd been feeling quite swollen in my legs but I'd eased it a bit with a lie down in Occ Health at lunchtime but with a stifling hot office and then a hell of a drive in almost stationary traffic I was feeling it. Which in some ways I was glad about as I wanted to be seen while things weren't great.
I did say to him, as I happily say to anybody, that my walking and general mobility are a total joy now. But the groin pain is in the 'not so good' category and the swelling I class as 'bloody awful'. The groin pain hurts but I know when to expect it and with the ability to do some additional exercises I can see how that will improve. I know lots of people have it and it kind of makes sense. But the swelling is different. It seems to be both legs, and while it's not acute pain like the groin it is such a constant dull aching heaviness and tightness it is bloody miserable. On Thursday I was at work in the office and no chance to put my feet up. I didn't do the 'lunchtime lie down' thing as I was doing the 'pub lunch with a mate' thing. I also stayed late as I got called into a 5 pm meeting. By the time I got home I had just about lost my ankles. It was a different story at the weekend when I was really active but took time out to lie with legs up. And as I can't just do that do easily at work, I just swell and feel horrible..
Anyway he examined me and said he didn't think they seemed overly swollen. He said he wasn't sure there was anything specific he could pin it to and commented that maybe I have a lower tolerance to swelling. He has a point as I've swelled quite impressively on the 2 cruises I've been on, and last year I did keep having occasional ankle swelling. He's sent me for a Doppler scan to rule out DVT though he thinks that's really unlikely as my calves are soft. I'll most likely be going for that on Thursday (still waiting for hospital to confirm). He also queried an apparent urine infection I had before my surgery and suggested I get tested again at my GP. And rather than wait til one year, he'll see me in 3 months time.
He said I'm now free of the formal restrictions but not to think I can go mad. He threw in the story of one of his patients who was over eager to cut her toenails and managed to dislocate at 3 months 1 day. Basically anybody with a hip replacement is at risk of dislocation, the risk going down with time but also connected to what you try to do with it. So the approach to follow is 'if it hurts don't do it' (though on that basis I could justifiably wimp out of some of the physio exercises). I'm fine to resume pilates, dancing, and zumba he didnt bat an eyelid at. Though I might want to wait a couple of months until I feel a bit stronger and more flexible. Running is also fine - not that I'm much of a runner but the occasional burst on the treadmill is OK. The only things I am banned from for life are trampolining and water-skiing. The latter was never on the agenda. Trampolining I am slightly gutted about as a visit to Jump Nation was on my to-do list.
After seeing him I saw the physio who said my walking was great (ha, like I needed telling!). She focussed on the groin pain and said that some new exercises might help to work that out. As one of these exercises involves bringing knee to chest I haven't been allowed to do that until now. Now I'm allowed to I have as much chance of getting it there as Louis Van Gaal has of being Man Utd's all time favourite manager. But I feel quite encouraged and hopeful that if I work hard it'll pay off. Today I had hydrotherapy which was fantastic. Another 1-2-1 session where I worked pretty hard. And nearly drowned at one point as I fell off the step into the deep end! But it was great being able to move so much and in that warm pool I have great movement in the knee to chest department.
So now my restrictions are gone I don't need to rely on my grabber to help me get dressed. But god it's hard to put knickers on when the leg is just too stiff and painful to bend up. As I've been told to try to limit the amount of lift and twist to start with I just can't get my foot into the knickers. Trousers aren't so bad as they're longer...I can hold them at the waistband and where my feet need to enter is further down. But the whole palaver of getting into knickers feels like a promotional exercise for going commando. It's sad that it feels such an achievement to be able to put my own undies on. Almost on a par with the triumph of having a poo. If I was a lot younger and more cool this would be a FML moment.
I did have a bit of a yayy moment last week when I hit the shops and ventured in poor beleagured BHS. I thought they might be having a sale and was right - 2 pairs of shoes for £17 :) Not high but they are narrow heel and pointyish shoe so I get away from the boring flats shape. As they say the 3 things to avoid with shoes are high heels, narrow heels and pointy shoes it means I've been a rebel on 2 out of 3. I can live with that at my age and in my condition. Actually my condition could be worse - according to the Wii, while I didnt lose any weight this week, I am younger than I really am. Here's the proof
Some time ago I remember proudly boasting on FB when I showed a number in the 20s. I am not so delusional as to think I'll get there again but getting into my 40s still feels pretty good. As does being described as in 'relatively good condition'. Especially when I'm still too wrecked to get in my knickers without a big effort!


No comments:
Post a Comment