5 weeks to go. Well actually 4 weeks, 6 days. I forgot to come here and blog yesterday. I would love to have a great reason. I wish I could say I was busy doing some home cooking, or tidying up the house. Instead I was having a lazy evening watching soaps and trying to book a hotel in Amsterdam. These days I'm not working stupid hours but am not really doing much with my extra time but in a way I like it.
One contributing factor in my lethargy is the fact I'm fighting off the cold that hit me last week. Having felt quite smug before Christmas that I'd avoided all the bugs while most people in the office were sneezing and spluttering away, it caught up with me last week. I spent Wednesday in bed, working through my body weight in tissues and generally feeling bleurgh. (That apparently is a proper word...my predictive typing recognised it!). I'm now at the stage of lovely audible nose clearing and the cough from hell .
I have a long standing history of persistent coughs that last for weeks after I've had even a hint of a cold. Normally I take an inhaler, try all cough remedies under the sun but nothing much touches it. I get used to it, I spend my time apologising for it and then eventually it goes. But now I'm getting paranoid about shaking it off so that it doesn't affect my surgery. I just don't want anything to happen that might mean they have to delay the op. I've got too many holidays planned for after it! I've even agreed with my manager to let me work from home the final week before my op to reduce my chances of catching anything. It'll be just my luck now that Kev gets ill!
So overall my feeling bad moments have come more from the cold than from my hip. In fact the past few days my hip has been quite good. Towards the back end of the week it's been achey but I've had hardly any sharp pain. I've been doing stairs without needing handrail too. It does mean I have a tendency to get complacent and I do need to be careful...if I do too much it does remind me it's there.
But it's now put a new worry into my mind. I read so many people saying how after the op its great to be finally pain free. I know that obviously there will be some post op soreness and discomfort as a bloody great hole through my hip muscles has to heal. But my worry is that I'll view it more negatively as I'm comparatively pain free now. It does sound crazy I know...being in a fairly good place now is in my mind a reason to feel worse when things are better! It seems others are similar to me which is reassuring. It's nice to know I'm not alone in being crazy :) And people have pointed out that I probably don't realise how much pain I do have until it's not there any more. They say 'you don't know what you've got til it's gone'. In my case this could be a good thing :)
No comments:
Post a Comment