Friday, 1 January 2016

New Year, new me?



I’ve never been one to go overboard with New Year’s resolutions.  In the back of my mind I tell myself I will get fit, eat better, declutter, get myself organised.  In reality I’m like many others who never quite seem to carry the good intentions through. So it’s quite nice that this year when I talk about a ‘new me’ that I know for a fact there will be a bit of me where that will be true.  Ok so it’s just one hip, and it’s down to mechanics rather than anything I can take credit for, but it’s there nonetheless.  And of course it’s almost impossible not to start mentally resolving how things will be different with my new joint.  
 
I know I have to do the exercises the physio gives me; hopefully that will lead to me generally taking on more of a healthy active lifestyle.  Having been laid up due to this old joint wearing away, it seems rude not to make sure I give the new one a proper lease of life.  I realise that just the ability to go for a walk is something many can’t do, so therefore I really should make the most of the opportunity I’ll have once recovered, and to get off my arse and DO more.

Even sedentary there’s lots to do.  I have spent most of this afternoon clearing out my e-mail accounts.  I have 3 accounts, and I had literally hundreds of old mails, most that had no value at all.  Of course when doing my deleting, then emptying the deleted items, and even saying ‘yes’ when I was asked if I was sure I wanted to permanently delete, I did still manage to delete one thing I shouldn’t have but I’m being philosophical about it.  I let myself get too wound up over things I can’t change and that’s something I need to get out of.  I’ve often said that my mind is rather dangerous and it shouldn’t be let out on its own.  With having the physical lay off coming up I need to stop letting the little things wind me up so much.  Things and people – I’ve let far too many of the wrong ones become too important lately.

So if I have any resolutions it’s to get my head space better and less cluttered.  I have a huge amount in my life to be thankful for and that’s where my focus needs to be.  I read somewhere recently that time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.  I have wasted too much time on people that don’t deserve the attention , on work where I’m putting in far more hours than I need to, on worrying over things that either I can’t do anything about or I need to do something about and quit whinging over.  I’m feeling so positive about what I want to do with my new hip that I hope it’ll rub off generally.

I already have a list of things to look forward to apart from the hip: 

  • My youngest son graduates in July so hopefully soon we’ll get a date for that
  • We have a few days mid May booked in Morocco at possibly the most relaxing place I’ve ever been to.  That’s as much a wind down for Kev who will have been my carer during Feb/March and will deserve some downtime. 
  •  I’m in the process of booking a few days in Barcelona in June/July. 
  •  We have our main holiday booked late August when we do a 14 day cruise from Amsterdam to the Baltics and Russia, including an overnight stop in St Petersburg on my birthday
  • We have our tickets for Carfest at the end of July, when once again our friends Jan and Dave will come and stay with us

So I can’t honestly say that I will promise a new me for 2016 but I will be doing my best to make sure the bad bits of the old me get put firmly in their place

No comments:

Post a Comment