Monday, 18 January 2016

Lesson learnt

This week started really well.  I was walking without my stick at work  andone it felt fine.  We moved to a new office and I wasn't daft enough to try moving crates or anything...God forbid, I'd probably be contravening several health and  safety rules if I did that.  But I was walking round the office, doing stairs (yes I used the handrails) and it all felt fine. 

Tuesday I worked from home and in the afternoon went to my pilates teacher for a private session. She's given me some exercises to help build up my strength ahead of the op; hopefully it might work some shrinking miracles on the ever expanding muffin top!

Wednesday I also managed to go stick free back in the office but by about 4pm I was actually feeling sore in my left hip which is my good one.  Then on the drive home my right hip felt rather wrong.  I think I'd got some payback for being rather complacent. Needless to say I was using my stick on Thursday. 

Friday we had a night away at a local hotel as we'd won a meal there. To get from our room to the restaurant we had the choice of quick route which meant going outside in the rain and cold, or negotiating an up-and-over approach and a few corridors.  There was a lift for the up, but after the over it was steep stairs down. Which meant on the way back it started with stairs up. I know they do have proper disabled access rooms but if you're not in one of them it's one heck of a faff. In the morning we had to take our bags out so the up-and-over approach was out the question.  But boy was I careful on the icy car park outside.

I'm now at the point where my worst fears about fear have come true. I'm now quite scared of anything that can hurt it.  In the hotel I was using my stick but at breakfast I did without just to go the short distance to get food (and plenty of it!) and I realised that I felt quite nervous. With my stick people give me space, without I'm part of the crowd, in there with any jostling. Not that there was a mad stampede for the last waffle and bacon but just the feeling that anybody could knock into me was scary.  

No such worries back at work today. I woke up and within a few moments of walking (slowly...my alarm goes off at 6) into the bathroom I had a really sharp pain in my hip.  Then as I took a step on it more pain.  I did manage to shower but was really struggling. I debated working from home but decided to go to the office instead. The driving was OK but jeez it hurt so much during the day. I even had sharp painful catches when all I was doing was sitting in my chair chatting to somebody. On top of that I also have a horrendous cough which made my hip twinge several times. 

So all in all I've ended up feeling a bit sorry for myself.  Bit of a barney with the hubby didn't help.  And of course the nightmare game at Anfield. One sodding shot, just ONE lousy shot from Shrek and the jammy bloody Mancs scab a win.  Sighhhhh onwards and upwards.   In 4 weeks time, all being well, I'll be lying in my bed in the Alex with a glued up hole in the side of my leg and hopefully on the way to all this hurty stuff being over. But will probably still be sore over that bloody Man Utd win.

No comments:

Post a Comment