When Beyonce
sung that song it was basically about how a boy couldn’t properly understand
girls, love, hurt. I think she missed a
trick personally as there are so many more male-defining traits that I could
think of.
- The apparent freedom to belch, fart and fiddle with genitals in public. If I’m a bit uncomfy in my bra while out shopping, you won’t see me hoisting my boobs around to sort things out – I’ll wait until I can get to the ladies and sort out discreetly
- The inability to ask for directions. I credit myself with some intelligence and if I am somewhere new that I’m not familiar with, I don’t consider it as shameful to ask somebody where to go. Even with a sat nav it’s not always helpful as I found when my sat nav tried to make me turn right the wrong way down a one way road in Leeds. To be fair I think that has to be the worst place to drive to/in/round. I went on a second visit only 6 days later and was still hopelessly lost, driving down bus/taxi lanes as they were the only roads I got onto in the right direction. But a man will spend half a day and half a tank of petrol in a state of ‘it’ll be just along here’ before they even consider asking for assistance
- Avoiding simple colds and going straight for man-flu and expecting loads of sympathy and total absolution from any tasks that need doing, that a woman with a cold would do without batting an eyelid
- Being able to pee standing up. Now this is the biggie for me for which I really do envy men. And something that takes on a whole new level of envy with the impending hip thing
I know I
should get given some kind of toilet booster seat but I'm hoping I won't be
housebound all the time and then there comes the issue of managing on normal
seats. And thank god I'm not going on a business trip to the States
- the loos there were really low down! It was a bit like going back and
visiting your old primary school. I did wonder what would happen if my
hip gave out mid visit. And to think i thought using a stick in front of
my work colleagues was embarassing! Anyway with the knowledge that using
another toilet might be a bit problematic - I'm fine with hovering but not sure
how easy that is with crutches/stick/sore bits - I bought a SheWee (other brand
female urinals are available). I've done nothing with it yet except
admire the very bright purple colouring and wondered who thought that would be
a discreet way of blending in subtly. My
friend who plays golf tells me that women in her golf club use them…maybe that’s
why golf sweaters are so vivid, it helps a lady using her purple plastic friend
look less conspicuous. Anyway I no
longer need to worry about hovering over less than pristine toilets or being
stuck risking dislocation on one that’s too low. I can just assemble my purple gizmo with
convenient extension tube and remain standing.
Just as long as I know where to go to use it. God forbid I should ask anybody for
directions…!
No comments:
Post a Comment