Monday, 28 December 2015

Sofa, so good

7 weeks until surgery and today things were great when I woke up.  The past few days have been quite painful, especially later on in the day. Yesterday we did a bit of shopping and part way through something just went and my hip was agony. I had my stick with me but was still struggling to take any weight on my right leg.

In the mornings I've felt like I'm testing myself as to what I can do. Does it hurt when I first stand? Can I walk to the bathroom without hurting? Then the next test is to put PJs or knickers on and if it's a really good day I can take weight on bad leg while I put left leg in. I have never got quite so excited about wearing a pair of knickers as I do when I can put them on without holding onto something!

If I pass that test ok then the biggie is going upstairs. Down is ok but going up and taking weight on right leg is the main thing. And often it turns out to be a fail.  Today I could do the walk upstairs and not hurt :)
I'm not brave enough to go anywhere without my stick now but when I popped to local supermarket this morning it stayed folded in my bag and I felt fine.

Later we went out on a mission to replace our very worn out 3-piece suite. I need something firm (cue childish giggle at semi-intentional innuendo) and smaller (saying nothing!). We ended up settling on the suite we wanted fairly quickly, and even picked the fabric we wanted without too much indecision. It isn't too dark, it's just a bit darker than what we have now. It'll be fine, honest. But then we spent time deciding on whether to have recliner or not, whether we would have manual or powered recliner, and whether to consider dual motor. And the main reasoning we applied was what would I need in my short term post-op. I did have great fun pressing buttons and moving up and down. Even managed to get it vibrating if you wiggled the buttons just right (stop it!). 

Anyway we decided that paying more for one that would lift me really wasn't worth it. I'll have short term mobility issues; I'm not making adaptations now for that much infirmity. I'm not letting myself think I'll do anything other than get back to normal and hopefully pretty darned quickly.

So we placed our order and it should arrive a few days after I come home. Not the very best timing but by ordering now and not a couple of weeks ago we did get sale prices :)



No comments:

Post a Comment