It's funny, when people tell me not to worry about the hip replacement I'm sure they're talking about fear of the actual operation when that isn't actually anything I am that bothered about. I admit I cringe at the thought of the spinal anaesthesia I'll have, and I'm trying not to think too much about post-op pain or the swelling I've been told is really common. That's all the mechanics of the op itself and I know they're inevitable to some degree or another.
What really bothers me are (yet again) the more mundane trivial things that you take for granted until the ability to do them is taken away. I've read various updates from people who've gone through hip replacement and the sheer range of recovery time and progress is huge; I know everybody is different but the variety really does seem enormous. So the things I'm concerned about might (hopefully) be really short-lived but nonetheless for now they're bothering me.
Showering/bathing: The thought of not doing these isn't something I want to dwell on. I love my bathroom time. Unfortunately we only have a shower over bath, no nice walk in cubicle, so I don't know how much difference that'll make
Hair washing: Obviously related to the above as I'm assuming I can't bend to wash hair over the edge of the bath as I sometimes do. Wonder if Kev will have to practice some back washing skills for me. My hair needs washing every day really and dry shampoo isn't the same. Maybe I should wear a hat if I get hospital visitors!
Toenails, cutting and painting of: I like doing my own. Kev won't want to and I would also prefer not to have to let him. May seriously consider looking into booking a pedicure (home visit?)
Dressing: I love my jeans, I've lost weight this year and finally found a pair that fit nicely. But they're quite stretchy which means close fitting where I'll have been cut open and glued back together. Will invest in some more joggies (and how ironic is that when jogging is the last thing I've ever done even with functional legs!)
Compression socks: I know I'll have to wear these but not for how long. I can see Kev being delighted at having to put those on me.
Bending: This restricted bending rule is going to kill me. This past week I've been paying attention more to what I bend for and not being able to bend in the immediate aftermath of the op is going to be so difficult. Most of my pans, jugs etc that I use for cooking are in lower cupboards. Can't bend to get things out of the oven. Can't put laundry in the washing machine. Can't get to certain plug sockets. Can't put boots on (by myself) Can't feed the cat - that in itself isn't so bad as Kev can just do it as he does when I'm away, but she is the world's noisest cat so I can't shut her up with food if he isn't around
Carrying: Now when I had surgery last year I did get pretty nifty with the crutches but it is a pain if you have to not only move yourself from one location to another but also to carry something. I remember last time I perfected getting myself into the kitchen to make a sandwich and being able to hold the plate just right with the crutch. Big fail was proudly making myself some soup then realising I had to just eat standing in the kitchen as I couldnt actually carry it anywhere. I've been told I'll be on crutches for 3-4 weeks which I recall as being quite a bit longer than last time. Will have to work on the transport strategy in advance!
Shoes and sex: See previous posts :)
The other stuff like pain management, sleeping, walking, driving are the big picture things. As they improve so does everything else. But for now I just keep thinking of the little details. Even the fact that I'm clumsy and drop things but won't be able to pick them up. I'm not known for my patience. Which is why it's probably a good thing I'm planning on getting a new tablet and sorting out films and TV to catch up on to take my mind off what I can't do. I know there's exercises and stuff I have to do but I do keep being told it's important to rest...for once I will have to be good at that too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment