Wednesday, 24 February 2016

9 days post op, Moving on up

Well it's amazing how a few days can make such a difference.  Now I do realise with some trepidation that I'm writing in a positive mood, which with my track record could mean I'll be awake at 3, hurting, crying, thinking the world is awful. But then again I also have Liverpool to watch on telly tomorrow night so net result could be the same. 

Anyway, everybody seemed to be saying the first week is the worst so I was desperately hoping they were right.  And guess what? They were ☺  

I still have problems sleeping as I just hate having to sleep on my back. I find it hard to get comfy, I'm having restless legs and when I do sleep I wake up feeling like somebody's beaten me up in the night. And I really don't think Kev is doing that. I don't think. It is achey first thing in the morning.  In fact it's really achey at 3am. And then it's achey at the end of the day. But I'm on top of it. And it's something that's just there.  It's not the be all and end all and it is not going to define my day.

A friend visited me today and said she'd seen a video of a hip replacement.  I haven't watched one yet but do intend to. She said it was pretty brutal in how they cut open,  pull apart, hammering, drilling and so it's no wonder we end up with aches in other places. I'm bruised round the back of my knees but appreciate why. I've also seen my scar.  It's neat but it's 7 inches worth of neat. That's some cutting. It's allowed to take a bit of time to get over.  I remember people telling me about childbirth.  How it was pain with a purpose.  That purpose being to commit your next 18 years to sleepless nights, endless shouting and crying (in some cases from the child too) and financial destitution. I see similarities with hip replacement.  Sleepless nights, shouting and crying. But I don't have to watch TellyTubbies again, again...and again, and again. And I know why it hurts. I know it's healing. I know I can do something about it...whether that's taking drugs or doing the exercises. And while I did secretly know it would ease over time, I can now testify it's true.

I've realised that slower can be quicker. Not sure why I wrote that and not just used the well known phrase 'more haste less speed'. Proof that this is basically winged live and subject to minimal editing. Just because some people are walking comfortably with one crutch within a week doesn't mean I can.  I can walk really quite well with 2 so let's stick there (stick, pun not even intended, I kill myself sometimes!) and not make myself worse at the start. Let's rest as advised and spend time elevating legs to get rid of the swelling.  

Today I did that twice.  First time was around noon. I thought I'd go do the leg thing before grabbing lunch and then my friend was coming round. But I fell asleep and woke about 5 mins before she arrived. Obviously  I needed it.  Then this evening I went up again, decided eating fruit is a good thing to do so took a clementine up with me. I don't know if you've ever laid down flat, legs hoisted over a pile of pillows and tried to peel and eat a clementine.  A clementine with the peel virtually glued on. If you've not done it you've missed an experience. It certainly served as great distraction technique from anything going on in the legs. And I managed to eat it all up without choking!

Not only have I got myself sorted with the resting and walking thing indoors but I ventured outdoors today for the first time. Mainly as it was dry and not brass monkeys outside. I walked to the end of our little close and down the road to the next one. That was fun. Hardly any distance but all the driveways drop down so the pavement slopes from left to right.  And then right to left on the way back.  And my new leg hadn't had to cope with slopes before. It felt odd and wobbly, so I need to do more of that and get my muscles working a bit in the real world. 

And another triumph was managing the bath board and shower ON MY OWN!!.  As long as Kev unhooks the shower head I can get it, turn on, close screen and turn off after by using my grabber. God I love that thing. If it bought me chocolates I'd marry it. 

Chocolates.  I really shouldn't.  Chris and Sammy started it bringing me loads while I was in hospital.  But it did last until a few days after I got home.  And my friends who've visited me this week have arrived with Roses, Toblerone and a delish red velvet cake 
I'm not quite sure what excuse I'm going to need to come up with when I weigh at the weekend.  But by then I'll be well into week 2 and can't blame it on comfort eating, as I'm really feeling so much happier now.  Maybe that's partly down to enhanced chocolate consumption ☺  I just hope it may also be attributable to forthcoming back to back Liverpool victories.

So onwards and upwards. I've turned a corner, there may be more bumps on the road but I'm going to steamroller over them.  Or maybe sidestep them if that's easier for a bit ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment