Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Day 2 post op...backwards and forwards

Having had a great day yesterday I also got a good night's sleep. I turned in around 11, woke at 2.30 but fell back to sleep again. Woke at 4.30 and needed the loo so put lights on and 'warmed up' to get out of bed. Went OK but coming back and climbing onto the bed it hurt quite a bit.  I lay there deciding if I needed painkillers but fell back to sleep until I was woken by a nurse coming to take my blood pressure around 6am. She offered me a drink but I just wanted to go back to sleep,  which amazingly I did until around 7.20. As I woke I didn't feel great,  had a feeling of pressure on my chest, and just seemed to ache all over. My blood pressure was still low and a doctor came to check me over. They gave me an ECG and it was all OK though. So just told to keep drinking water. Which I'm doing and then peeing like demon for it!  For some stupid reason all of this hit me hard, and when I rang Kev I got a bit teary. It just felt that after such a good day yesterday it had all gone backward.

After breakfast the occupational therapist  (OT) appeared and I had the luxury of getting a wash and putting clothes on...yayyyyy Don't think I've ever felt so excited at a pair of joggers! It's quite a palaver getting them on mind. I've said I want to spare Kev the hassle of having to dress me, and have some independence but think I'll have to wait a bit and be prepared to swallow my pride a bit. This will kill me.  

Rebecca the physio also came by again and got me on the crutches, saying the frame was now history.  That was a bit scary. She got me doing stairs which are actually much easier than you'd think they'd be. We probably would have done more but when we got back to my room there was a man with a bed waiting to take me for x-rays.  I made him wait more while I went for a wee. Again. I would love a pound per pee, I'd be on a fortune by now!

So wheeled off to x-ray,  the worst bit being the lift there.  Apparently some people get claustrophobic so they have a mirrored wall at the back of the lift.  But when you're wheeled in feet first...jeez I looked like a beached whale. Does my arse look big in this bed? Too bloody right it does.  

Back from x-ray and Rebecca had kept her word and removed my frame.  I'm officially on day 2 now. Though having day 0 (operation day) as such a long one it feels like today should be 3.  But heck we'll keep with the official convention.  I had some lunch sitting in the chair which felt very civilised. After lunch I felt a bit light headed so got back on the bed and lay quietly for a bit. I knew Chris and Sammy were on their way to visit so just grabbed some down time while waiting. I couldn't decide if I felt a bit ill or just very tired.  I just know I didn't feel very 'me'.

They duly arrived complete with chocolates ☺ it was lovely seeing them and they got to be there, if not actually witness to, my big event of the day. Of course it's what everybody knows they have to do, it isn't always easy, some people take ages before they get there.  But I'd done it. I'd had a poo!! Every check up I've been asked if I've opened my bowels. Always makes me think of them like a village fete.  Like I should put bunting up and declare them open. I prefer more basic description. I had a poo, job done (should that be jobby?  Spellchecker doesn't like jobby!!)

Despite my obvious elation at the poo moment they still brought me down to earth with a drop in blood pressure. My pulse had gone up though. Obviously faecal related excitement! Drink more water...

Mr Hoad-Reddick appeared too..though I never got to share my poo news with him. But he said he'd seen my ECG and was fine but was off to find my haemoglobin result.

Chris and Sammy left and I settled for another kip (after another wee of course ) but then Kev appeared, shortly followed by a different physio. She got me doing my standing exercises, then took me for a longer walk, then doing more stairs. I was knackered by the end of it. Seriously knackered. I feel so unfit, ache all over, no puff, it was totally exhausting. She said I should do a bit more this evening. They're right -physios are evil! 

After tea I did some of the exercises. I feel like the new kid at the gym, barely able to do a thing.  I also went for another walk

And felt good. Until I got back to the bed. I tried to get on, I had to ask Kev to lift my leg. And it hurt. So I did the only thing I could. I just cried. In my head I know I'm doing OK.  I know this is the worst day and they refer to the day 2 blues with good reason but it was another step back. As soon as Kev had gone I rang that bell for codeine! Mr Hoad-Reddick  appeared  briefly to say both my xrays and haemoglobin were good so that cheered me up a bit. 

Since then I've been writing this but needed a wee...again! And decided to go for another stroll. Only one twinge. And I got back onto the bed without any hurt or crying. So another step forward...roll on day 3 ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment