Had a great night's sleep on Wednesday night, to the point of having to ask them to pop back in 10 mins with my breakfast so I could wake up and get the leg working. I definitely have to warm up before even getting out of bed. But once up I felt pretty good.
Things got even better when one of the nurse assistants said she would help me have a shower. OMG the luxury of that. Feeling clean, hair washed...just amazing. At that point Clover (and how cool a name is that) became my most favourite person in the world. Even when I found out she's a Man Utd fan. And her husband is a barber responsible for some of the 'interesting' hair creations adorned by some of our prem footballers.
Later I was shown how to use the bath board. Hmmmm can see me needing to waterproof the bathroom and not sure I'll be able to do without Kev but at least it's another hair wash option until I'm allowed to climb into the bath. Now wishing we'd remodelled the bathroom to fit a walk in shower. But if wishes....and all that.
Once that was done I was pretty much good to be released into the community. They checked my car seat...my Meriva is perfect, no cushion needed and got in pretty easily. So off for home. Exciting but scary. The team at the Alex have been so good and suddenly being cut loose is daunting. Now they say to limit your car journeys in the early days. Ever tried getting from Cheadle to Middlewich when the M6 has jammed solid and the A556 is crawling with roadworks? I was breaking rules already!
We got home around lunchtime but all I wanted to do was to lie on my bed. Sitting in a car when you have no functional bum muscles is bloody painful and ridiculously tiring. So I spent some time literally doing nothing more strenuous than reading texts and FB. I had a craving for a jam butty and I swear a glass of milk has never tasted so good. And I did break open the Matchmakers :)
I did my exercises which are so simple but such hard work. I like to think at the end of this I will have a beautifully lean sculpted arse. If I stay away from mirrors and tight jeans maybe I can keep the delusion going. I really wanted to watch the Liverpool game. You'd think I've been through enough this week wouldn't you. But I was determined. I went back to bed early evening to get some rest before the game at 8. Get some rest!! From doing hardly anything! I did move myself about a bit on my crutches but honestly I feel so lazy but was unbelievably tired. Kev had dinner timed for the start of the game...how great is that :) The dinner was lovely, the game less so. And I fell asleep at the end. I could blame the codeine but that's unfair to the drugs.
10pm and I was back in bed. The day had felt long and tiring. Coming home is a big deal and I'm already learning how patient I'm going to have to be. That'll be a task. My mantra is more 'God give me patience but give it to me now' I want to not have to be asking Kev for help with everything but recognise where I need him and where I can do things for myself. I'm learning how to be a bit resourceful. When I dropped both a crutch and my grabber I used the remaining crutch to hook the other one. I'm learning it's OK to stand crutchless; I'm weight bearing and have to stop being scared of my new hip. I'm organised now with a bag so I can carry essentials with me (phone, tablet, water bottle). Of course once I've gone either up or down stairs I remember something I've forgotten and Kev has been very patient. So far. I don't want to be putting his patience to the test.
Last night sleep was up and down. I find lying on my back uncomfortable. I was up moving in the night to ease my back. I just want to lie on my side which is what I've done for years to relieve back ache but I'm not allowed to. But having taken some paracetamol at 3am I propped myself up a bit, woke a little around 7 but then slept til 8.30. And this morning I've washed, dressed, made porridge, done exercises and done pretty much everything for myself.
So into day 4 and feeling pretty ok. Maybe I'll even stay awake enough to do today's blog today :)
Last night sleep was up and down. I find lying on my back uncomfortable. I was up moving in the night to ease my back. I just want to lie on my side which is what I've done for years to relieve back ache but I'm not allowed to. But having taken some paracetamol at 3am I propped myself up a bit, woke a little around 7 but then slept til 8.30. And this morning I've washed, dressed, made porridge, done exercises and done pretty much everything for myself.
So into day 4 and feeling pretty ok. Maybe I'll even stay awake enough to do today's blog today :)
No comments:
Post a Comment