So today was my pre-op and I had an early and lonely start to the day. The hubster has been full of cold so he didn't come with me, which I was a bit gutted about.
Good thing I was well early as I went to the main hospital instead of the Riverside Suite right over the other side of the hospital.
But once I got in the right place the fun started. Given that I had time to spare I asked where the loo was so I could go put my contact lenses in. The lovely lady on the desk pointed me in the right direction but with a warning not to actually go to the toilet as they needed a sample later. Was a bit like a reversal of when your mum tells you to go have a try!
Moving on, I got called into the first nurse (incidentally she was coughing worse than me) who let me finally relieve myself. Is it bad form to say that she was literally taking the piss! She also took my blood. Eventually. There was a painful botched attempt in my right arm before heading to the left where apparently I had a really good vein. Might have been good to have spotted that before we started! Bizarrely when she took my temperature she told me I had lovely soft hair.
Next onto another nurse who spent about an hour going through my questionnaire. We discussed the cough and it seemed that it's not an issue. She also slightly calmed me over my cold fears though I just know that next week I'm likely to be a panicking mess. She explained about what would happen on the day. A 7am arrival doesn't mean I'm first on the list. It means I'm one of all the others all told to arrive at 7am . Then when I'm there I'll find out where in the queue I am. But it will be morning apparently.
I asked about the dreaded self injection blood thinners. It isn't a pen. It's a pre-filled syringe. It will have a visible needle. Which I'm expected to stick into my own belly. And I'm a needle phobe. The alternative is for them to train Kev to do it. Either option has zero appeal.
After leaving the nurse I moved in to see the OT (occupational therapist). I had to watch a slide presentation while she talked to me very slowly. When I asked or even dared to challenge anything I think I pissed her off. I did slightly lose the will to live when discussing my actual false hip and what it's made of. Despite the slide show clearly pointing out the 'metal part' she was insistent that it was ceramic. She did say though that I might set airport alarms off. Which bizarrely I hope turns out to be true!
But the presentation did also include something else that I have to admit has seriously knocked me back a bit. I had understood from what my surgeon previously said, and from what I'd heard from colleague who had her THR with him 3 years ago, that I'd have 6 weeks of restrictions with the 90 degree rule. This means I have to be at least 90 degrees at my hip and that means sitting at higher height than usual. That technically means I couldn't just go out to eat without checking chair height and maybe needing my booster cushion. All of that I knew but I thought it was for 6 weeks and today I was told 12 weeks. I'm allowed to drive at 6 weeks which means I could actually drive to a pub but not sit down in the bloody place!
Anyway I have tried to call my surgeon to ask if it's really true. If it is then I need to be thinking about seating at work, going out etc. Apparently I can do away with raised loo seat at 6 weeks. I guess they think I would spend much less time sitting there. Good thing they don't judge me by the time my hubby can take! But I am seriously hacked off at the thought. 6 weeks is OK. That's my recovery time. But after that it should be getting back to normal. Not having to have special seating arrangements. I'm getting fed up of being special. Sorry Mr Klopp, I love you but I'm shamelessly stealing, I want to be the normal one. (Football and Liverpool related reference there, Google it if you want!)
No comments:
Post a Comment