Thursday, 11 February 2016

Richard Branson v penguins

It has been another stressy work day but I'm putting that down to the fact I'm so close to finishing now. And to be fair I did get several major tick box things done. Including my goals in workday...which will mean nothing to most readers of this blog who don't  work with me, but allows me to be slightly smug for those that do :)

But today I'm winding down with a more lighthearted update as I was in danger of depressing myself.  I'm a Liverpool fan. That's been depressing enough this week.  And the ticket price turnaround doesn't even help as I don't get to matches anyway. In fact by not going to games I'm saving less now than I would be if they'd put prices up.

But I've lost the plot again now. Football has nothing to do with this.  A visit to India has though.  Back in August I went on a business trip to India.  I was a bit scared about going as I don't like hot food.  I don't mean I prefer mild curries. I mean I cannot cope with anything with a hint of hot. A dab of mustard, the tiniest bit of pepper. I can't take it. To me a korma is hot. I just don't do hot food. And I went to India,  I know...! Anyway I was well looked after and plied with plain sandwiches at lunch and chocolates throughout the day. All was great. Until my final day when I found myself in desperate need of a wee between meetings.  Being the considerate soul that I am I didn't want to delay things more than necessary so pretty much set off at a run to the toilets. And went full on into a plate glass door. It made a very loud noise,  though didn't break, and my legs turned into Bambi on ice. I was staggering round as most of the office came running to my aid.  I was given an ice pack for my head,  which was great as the bruise that came up on my knee was a belter and one of those across my forehead would have made me look really dumb. In a way that headbutting a glass door obviously doesn't!   I had a headache for the rest of the day. And the flight home that evening. That was galling as I was declining free Emirates hospitality champers. And with my head still spinning next day I ended up at the doctor's being told I'd got concussion. And there was me worried about coming home with a dodgy tum.

So that was a few months back and apart from it coming up in conversation on a team lunch last week I have now lived that one down.  Then today somebody at work messaged me to tell me that Richard Branson had walked into a glass door. But he'd needed 3 stitches. And he (work colleague, not Mr Branson) had thought of my incident and thought it would cheer me up to hear that he (Mr Branson) was worse than me!

It was nice to hear that seeing as how I'd come off worse in a comparison last night. I was watching a programme that goes behind the scenes at Chester zoo. One of my favourite places and special as I got married there. Yes, honestly I got married in a zoo and I guarantee I will have heard every side splitting joke about that.  In the latest episode they were focusing on a penguin called Rud.  Rud is 22 years old which is the equivalent of 66 in human years. He waddles worse than other penguins as he has arthritis.  But when they x-rayed him his hip looks OK.  Mine doesn't.  I don't waddle but my hip looks a mess on an x-ray.  So while I may be better with head injuries than multi millionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson, I am radiologically in worse shape than a geriatric penguin! Shoot me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment