I've written a nicer lighter version of my surgery day. I'm not repeating that here but the aim of this post is to give honest description of how I've found the big day, what I actually went through. Bits are not pretty (don't worry, no pics) and bodily functions are described. I am certainly NOT trying to put anybody off. On the basis of today I would recommend this. But I just want to put things out there so people know what they can expect, and doing it while fresh in my mind, with no later hindsight or context. It is simply what I've been through today.
Just one point of clarity upfront, I am in the UK and going private through work insurance. And the approach my surgeon used is the posterior. That may make a difference for many of you reading this.
My 'check in' couldn't have been smoother. Arrived at 7, in my room almost right away, and visited by nurses, orderlies, anaesthetist and surgeon. Everything was clearly explained. We went through all my details many times. It does get tedious but they have to do it. I had my temperature and blood pressure taken but other than that it was very laid back. I was getting nervy but not nearly as bad as I'd thought I'd be.
I was walked down to theatre as I'm not that bad for pain. I was shown into a kind of holding area where I met a young lad having wisdom teeth out. Again it was more waiting and chatting with a guy who seemed to be some kind of check in at that area. Then Andy appeared. He is part of the anaesthetists team and went through my forms again. Deja vu again! I couldn't resist asking his football allegiance and of course he was a Utd fan. Moth to a flame, me! It was good having some banter as it took my mind off things as we went into the ante-theatre room where the anaesthetic fun starts.
I'd been told I would have cannula inserted in my hand, then the spinal and then sedation in that order. I was dreading the cannula especially as they had me sitting on the edge of the bed. With needles I'm better lying down as I'm prone to fainting, but I was in the position ready for the spinal. It did hurt but they couldn't get it in first time so I had to go through it twice. It's sore, can't deny it. And I swore as they did it. Bad Lynda but I needed to let it out!
Then the spinal. The worst bit of this was the stinging local anaesthetic they gave me. Then I just felt some pushing as they sited the needle. This took a couple of attempts but wasn't painful, more stressful as I was worried they couldn't get it in right and I'd need a general. But all of a sudden I felt a rush of warmth and it was all systems go. They left it 5-10 mins to let it work. First I lost the ability to lift my legs and wiggle my toes, then I became desensitised to the ice spray. They said the sedative would come as I went into theatre. To get me ready they had to roll me onto my good side, which involved making sure my arms were in a comfy position, especially my hand with the cannula in. Then I was in the recovery room!
I really had no recollection of anything. They said I slept nicely through, no chatting (most unlike me!). I woke feeling only a little drowsy in a lazy way. No headache, no nausea, no fatigue, and no feeling of any time having passed. I would seriously say to anybody worried about spinal and sedation to think again. It was brilliant. I had gone to theatre about 8.30 and was back in my room about 3 hours later. And I felt good.
But before moving on I will say about a downside of spinal that I hadn't been warned about. Because you lose sensation you can have an 'accident'. Almost as soon as I was back in my room it was obvious I'd had one and they had to change my sheets. They were great and I didn't feel too bad; they'd seen this all before and after having kids I have minimal inhibitions. It actually happened a second time but they were so caring and efficient it wasn't the big problem it might sound. And beats the puking and weeks of fatigue I had with general.
Later things improved and I was able to call for the bedpan. I filled it pretty impressively too which I was glad about as no need for catheter. I had enough with the calf pumps to want more intervention.
I didn't and don't/won't be getting compression socks. I have these cuff things round my calves which auto inflate every minute or so. I also have exercises to do, pretty basic ones of flexing my feet up and down, turning my ankles in circles, pushing my knee into the bed, and squeezing the glutes. The physio also popped in to give me another..,sliding my heel of operated leg up the bed. That sounds easy but god it's hard work. My leg feels so heavy.
In terms of pain, it's pretty much restricted to my incision area. In the recovery room I initially had no feeling in my legs but gradually I was aware of a draggy feeling in the incision area. That then turned into pain at which point they gave me some stronger painkillers which did kick in after a short while. Through the day the pain has come and gone but I'm being given painkillers to manage it and I'm certainly not climbing the walls as I had been. My anaesthetist and surgeon have both seen me and said it's entirely normal. And this being the UK no mention of ice!
The physio said she'd be back to get me up when my leg numbness had totally worn off and my blood pressure ok (has been a little low, nothing serious). So far she hasn't come and it looks like one of the nurses will do that instead. But it's nearly 10pm now so really not sure what's happening. But with the leg cuffs, the blood pressure monitoring and the wait on drugs, plus an impending need for bedpan I can't see much sleep on the cards.
So all in all a good day. Despite the wee mishaps and the pain that really is manageable and only to be expected, I feel good. I feel I can cope. I feel positive. My story won't be the same for everybody but I hope that maybe it does help a few people get a real view of how things might go.
No comments:
Post a Comment